Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Pass the stuffing

Everyone is blogging about what they're thankful for this week & yes I'll hit on that quickly. I'm thankful for my family, for being as healthy as I possibly can, for an amazing boyfriend, great friends and the fact I have a job I actually enjoy going to every day. But more than anything?

I'm thankful for the FOOD. Especially the food at my grandparent's house because that's the way it always should be.

I know we all have our own traditions, but there's nothing like not being able to partake in your traditions to realize how engrained they are into your brain. Case in point, when I was about 15 my mom remarried. Nothing wrong with that, he's a good man...but he comes with alllll kinds of family. Not a super big family, but his parents had divorced & both remarried so there was quite the scene to sort out when it came to holidays. We've finally settled on whomever gets Thanksgiving does not get Christmas Eve and it alternates every year. Someone else gets Christmas Day and the rest of it is up to where we feel like spending time.

So...the first year? I went to my stepdad's father's house. I didn't really know them and I don't remember all that much about it but what I do remember? Is my introduction to what is known as canned cranberries.

???

To this day I still don't get it but "eh". I think making real cranberries is one of the easiest things to make so I don't know why you need to make it any easier. But everyone has their own way of doing things and that's just fine & dandy.

That is, until you go out to eat on Thanksgiving. Yes, I've had to do that too and when that happened (multiple times) that I refused to eat anything turkey related because it wasn't made at home. What? I never said I was mature (at least at that age).

Now my mom & stepdad usually have Thanksgiving dinner at their house on these off years and I'm perfectly ok with that. I make pie the way my grandma taught me, my mom makes the turkey and my stepdad makes the perfect stuffing to go with it.

Tomorrow night I head to my grandparent's house for the traditional Thanksgiving dinner, the only difference is we do it a little more potluck style. I'll be bringing the cranberries and I'm excited to see all of my extended family.

And of course all the wine. ;-)

What is your favorite part about Thanksgiving? And your favorite food?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Site Meter